TAP2CD ¿ Sistema de carga ultrafast para Oric ?

ron
Agradecimiento recibido: 1337 veces

TAP2CD ¿ Sistema de carga ultrafast para Oric ?

Mensajepor ron » 15 Oct 2012 16:26

Muy buenas. -0r1c

Resulta que me puse a buscar por las webs de Oric, porque ya me gustaría averiguar si hay algún método de carga ultra rápida, al estilo del K7ZX de Spectrum, OTLA y otros fast loaders.

Esto paliaría un poco mi autohype con la controladora de Oric, pero básicamente esto es lo que he averiguado.

Una cosa, según el autor dice que solo funciona en Atmos y en un Atmos es en donde lo he probado, dice que en un Oric 1 no funciona.

Al final del post he puesto el fichero desde Retrowiki, incluye el código fuente en C, por si alguien se quiere currar una versión Windows / Linux / Mac.

¿ Cansado de esperar mientras cargas por audio ?

Aqui hay vitaminas para el comando CLOAD. TAP2CD es una herramienta que genera ficheros de audio ( WAV ) desde las imágenes TAPE ( TAP ) ( como el TAP2WAV )

TAP2CD hace que la carga de los ficheros de cinta ( TAP ) se carguen DIEZ VECES MAS RAPIDO. Es decir, el Manic Miner para Oric se hace en nada.

Yo la había pasado por alto, pero hoy la he probado y me he quedado boquiabierto.

La subo para que la tengáis a mano.

Por cierto yo lo he ejecutado con DOSBOX y el resultado ( WAV ) al Oric, IMPRESIONANTE COMO CARGA. Otra cosa con DOSBOX necesitareis el csdmpi*b.zip ( google al canto) sino no funcionará y dará un error DPMI.

http://oric.free.fr/emulator.html

CLOADING AT 22050 BAUD ON THE ORIC

Here is a program that will allow you to load programs on your real Oric at the amazing speed of 22050 baud... you can use it for direct transfers from your PC to your Oric, or you can use it to build an Oric archive on a tape or an audio-CD...

HOW FAST IS IT ?

As with the standard Oric routines, the real speed depends on the pattern of bits (1 bits are faster than 0 bits), so lets consider a program that has an equivalent amount of 1 and 0 bits : in such a case, the real speed is 12600 bps (vs ~1900bps with the standard Oric routines).

But unlike the standard Oric routines, this is the real speed you will get when loading a program (because the program is loaded 256 bytes at once without start, parity or stop bits for each byte).

In other words, my routine loads 1575 bytes per second, vs 150 bytes per second with the ROM routines. 10 times faster !

Just imagine: you needed about 430" to load a program like Zorgons Revenge, it only requires 30" now... will you ever return to 2400 baud ?

This also means a 74-minutes CD offers a capacity of more than 6 MB for your Oric programs (i.e. more than 200 programs of 30 KB each), or even twice this number if you want to store programs on both left and right channels.

SO, HOW DO I USE IT ?

Tap2cd is a program that converts .TAP files to .WAV files (22kHz mono).

Just run tap2cd like this:

tap2cd gobbler.tap gobbler.wav

You will be prompted to enter an Oric filename for it because many TAP files dont have one (as usual with the Oric, this should be no more than 16 characters, but you cant enter an empty name here: this is because you will soon want to fill a CD track with several programs in sequence, and the expected program has to be named if you want to find it). Lets say you reply GOBBLER in this example. The program will then end, leaving a gobbler.wav file.

You can now load the program on your real Oric with the usual command (once you have connected your PC soundcard to your Oric of course) :

CLOAD"GOBBLER"
or CLOAD"

THE ORIC CD ARCHIVE CONSTRUCTION KIT

Of course, a speed of 22050 baud is ideal for storing Oric programs on a CD.

Building an archive of all your programs on a CD will require you to plan some strategy... If you have 200 programs or so, you are probably not going to reserve a full track for each of them on the CD, right ? This means you have to sort your programs and decide which of them you will append together on a single track. In order to build a CD track, you will need a WAV tool that allows you to append (concatenate) several WAV files.

For example, you may decide to append all arcade games together in a single track, all adventure games in another track, etc.

Then, you must also decide how you are going to make your CD user-friendly...

This will require you to build some kind of menu, dont forget to read simple hints and tips at the end of this file.

You are absolutely free to program either a small menu for each of your tracks or a single big menu that you will record in track 1, allowing you to chose among all your programs, and requesting the user to seek the CD to the track that contains the chosen program...

HOW DOES IT WORK ?

This is the result of months of work, some of you might remember my first Oric-CD (oops, was it really 3 years ago ?), with its standard 2400 baud tracks, and experimental tracks written at 22050 baud. The encoding scheme for the 22050 baud tracks on this first Oric-CD didnt work, I then developed zillions of other schemes before this one... To make a long story short, the first encoding scheme was simply using the standard Oric format, at the maximum possible speed on a CD : 22050 baud (because two 44100 Hz samples are needed for a 1 bit). As I am rather obstinate, I decided I would succeed to reach this speed. If you want to know how I finally arrived to this routine (which takes into account the deformation that the signal suffers when travelling through the input circuitry of the Oric), I have written a long article in the Rhetoric magazine...

Of course, the standard Oric routines are not able to read this format, so a small loader is prepended to the WAV file, and it automatically loads the following 22050 baud program.

HINTS AND TIPS

- Important: I forgot to say the loader routine is only compatible with the Atmos rom, dont even try to load your program on an Oric-1 unless you have upgraded its rom to an Atmos one.

- I would recommend to build a big menu program and to store it alone in track 1. Additionnally, a simple menu at the beginning of each track allows the user to quickly access a program if he knows which track it is on.

- I would suggest to sort the programs in a track in ascending size order and/or decreasing popularity order... this way, you wouldnt wait minutes before a small program loads. Conversely, you dont want to wait several programs before loading your favorite program... Its possible a thematic sort of all your programs might not be the best solution, after all. Perhaps it is better to select the 15 or 20 most popular programs and place them each in first position in their track, then select the 15 or 20 next popular programs and place them in second position in the tracks, etc.

- of course, tap2cd might fail to produce an usable file if the input .TAP file contains a copy-protection scheme (e.g. an header with false addresses), or if a multipart program uses its own loading routines. YOU must unprotect it if you want to use tap2cd.

- Dont forget to insert a few seconds of silence between the menu and the following program if you want the user to have enough time to make his selection.

Happy CLOADing,
Fabrice

http://retrowiki.es/e107_files/publ ... tap2cd.zip

Finalmente me puse a ello y os cuento en video el resultado.

Por un lado:

Si los TAP están protegidos o llevan cargas raras no funcionará bien.

El volumen al 70 %

Usar el MONO izdo, y conectar de la salida del PC / Altavoces al Oric.

Simplemente mediante : TAP2CD tape.tap wave.wav

A cargar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?=JYG-wOPxGwM

-0r1c

Volver a “Oric”