Mike's Tap Maker and Wav Maker Tools

Mike
Agradecimiento recibido: 53 veces
Contactar:

Mike's Tap Maker and Wav Maker Tools

Mensajepor Mike » 30 Ago 2020 02:10

Hola!

*** Note: to avoid name-clashing with Rampa's excellent "tap2Lynx" utility, I have renamed these tools ***

I have created two tools to help convert Lynx audio (wav) files to "tap" files - "Mike's Tap Maker Tool", and to convert tap files back to Lynx audio files - "Mike's Wav Maker Tool".

They are two programs that both work in a similar way. You insert the filename you wish to import, and it tries to read the file. If if it finds anything meaningful, it will display the contents in the information box. You can then export the file by specifying a filename and clicking save.

The tools look as follows:
MikesWavMakerScreenshot.png
Mike's Wav Maker Tool Screenshot
MikesWavMakerScreenshot.png (58.86 KiB) Visto 860 veces

MikesTapMakerScreenshot.png
Mike's Tap Maker Tool Screenshot
MikesTapMakerScreenshot.png (55.56 KiB) Visto 860 veces

I hope the tools are largely self explanatory, but do ask questions, if necessary.

Currently, when importing a "wav" file, they must be sampled at 22050Hz, and be 16bit PCM files. If your audio files are sampled at different rates, I suggest you use the Audacity program to convert them to the right format (which is easily done).

If an input TAP has multiple files (I call these "multi-taps"), then the output wavs will also contain multiple wavs, for when a tape has more than one program. The output "wavs" audio files are always at "Tape 0" speed, and are also at 22050Hz 16bit PCM files. If all goes well, it should be possible to load into a REAL Lynx (using a suitable cassette cable). The "volume" of the audio is set to 80%. When using a PC, the physical volume may need to be at around 80% too (although this will depend on your PC).

(Advanced tip: If you want your "wav" files to be at Tape 5 speeds, you can adjust the speed in the Audacity program. The default Lynx baud rates are as follows (per the Lynx Manual):

Tape 0 - 600 baud
    Tape 1 - 900 baud
    Tape 2 - 1200 baud
    Tape 3 - 1500 baud
    Tape 4 - 1800 baud
    Tape 5 - 2100 baud
...so for Tape 2, you would need to double the speed in Audacity and then export it, which is reasonably easy)

The resulting wav files can also be converted to MP3 files in Audacity, if preferred. These seemed to work on my Lynx at Tape 5, so I'm happy. -thumbup

You can download the installer here:

MikesTapWavTools.zip
Mike's Wav Tap Tools Windows Installer
(456.38 KiB) Descargado 6 veces

The installer just puts the tools in your "Program Files/Lynx" folder, and creates some shortcuts in the program menu and desktop.

Anyway, I just wanted to put these early versions of the utilities out there for you all to try, if you get the chance. It's enabled me to recover some tapes, make some taps, and load some new software onto my actual Lynx. If you manage to recover any fun software of your own, please share with everyone. -drinks

Anyway, I've probably forgotten something as its getting late here. Please let me know if you have any problems, or indeed successes!!

Happy Lynxing!

Mike
Contactar:

Re: Tap2Lynx and Lynx2Tap Utilities

Mensajepor Mike » 30 Ago 2020 20:28

Just for fun, I am also attaching the game "Roader" as an mp3. It is one of those games that doesn't run on either Pale or Jynx - but it does run on an actual Lynx (probably because it uses the 6845 chip?):
Roader.zip
(175.44 KiB) Descargado 17 veces

TAPE 5
MLOAD "ROADER"

-grin

Mike
Contactar:

Re: Mike's Tap Maker and Wav Maker Tools

Mensajepor Mike » 12 Sep 2020 01:01

Hola!

I have updated the software so that the latest version is able to process Level 9 data files (in addition to regular BASIC and machine code files). You can download the NEW installer using the link in the first post.

Also, the source code is now available on GitHub here: Source code for Mike's Wav Tap Tools (Github)

It is written in C# using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition, and it uses Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Mike.

(ps. I apologise for my source code in advance! -grin )

Mike
Contactar:

Mensajepor Mike » 27 Oct 2020 17:07

Hi,

Just a quick note to say I have released a new version here:

MikesTapWavTools Releases on Github

The tools now handle taps and wavs that contain "data store" files - files created using these EXTENSION commands:

Código: Seleccionar todo

EXT S SAVE 1, "NAME"
EXT S LOAD 1, "NAME"

These are hardly ever used and only available on the Lynx 96k and above. Included for completeness. Fyi - I'm not sure if these files are supported in Pale and Jynx, in any case.

Cheers,

Mike.

Womble
Agradecimiento recibido: 77 veces

Mensajepor Womble » 22 Nov 2020 15:41

Excellent stuff, like this a lot mike :)

Pete

Mike
Contactar:

Mensajepor Mike » 22 Nov 2020 15:51

Thank you! It wouldn't have been possible without your amazing Pale. You are a legend. -thumbup

And I am still learning from your ROM disassemblies!!

Thanks,

Mike.

Volver a “Camputers Lynx”